Wedding Invites -- by Guest Erin Jang

A couple years ago, I began creating custom wedding invitations for people as a side job. It began with my own wedding. My husband is a musi...

A couple years ago, I began creating custom wedding invitations for people as a side job. It began with my own wedding. My husband is a music fanatic and I love modern rock poster design. So instead of a traditional wedding invitation I designed a poster. It was great to hear from family and friends that they saved the poster and framed it.



When you're a graphic designer and you get married, you want to design everything -- the table numbers, the seating cards, the programs, the favors, and so on. The best thing about being able to create these things yourself is that you can make things personal, like the programs and little booklets we made for our guests. The booklets contained poetry and writing that was meaningful to us over the many years of our friendship, and illustrations I made to go with them. The programs had a music-stand cover (my husband and I met when we were teenagers, as stand partners) and a collage of our wedding party.




Creating wedding invitations for other couples brings me a lot of joy. I love to design something that is unique to the couple, so all the work I do is custom-made. So far, all the invitations I've designed have worked out to be for couples whose weddings I would want to go to. A rooftop wedding with paella and a live Brazilian band. A quirky wedding with lots of colorful vintage touches, photo booths and Mexican oilcloth tabletops. An intimate outdoor ceremony with a very organic aesthetic. They all have a personal style, and it's a wonderful feeling to be able to help them express that through a small paper good.




Hot in Week

Popular

Archive

item