Food Conscience

Over the last several months, I watched some intriguing documentaries about the production of food. I started with Food Inc. followed by K...

Food Conscience

Over the last several months, I watched some intriguing documentaries about the production of food. I started with Food Inc. followed by King Corn, (which you can both stream on Netflix) and The Future of Food (you can watch on hulu). The films all together shared a lot of the same information, but there is no doubt -- that people are awakening to food awareness and the ongoing revolution of what we are eating, don't you think? They all brought up very thought-provoking points on where our food originates and how it is produced.

How many of you have watched the Oscar nominated Food Inc. or any of the above flicks? I got my husband and other family members to watch it, and it immediately made us more conscious about what we consume. Yes, it takes more time and effort, and costs a little bit more to actively be engaged-- but you can save on quantity and go for quality and not break the bank. We are definitely far from perfect in our personal food consumption and eating choices, but are doing our best to make strides in the right direction. A few simple and rewarding choices we can make include supporting local farmer's markets, joining a CSA, growing a garden (even a patio, or deck one) and selecting high quality proteins.



A exciting television series that I am really looking forward to viewing is Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution USA (see trailer here) a sneak peak preview airs March 21st on ABC and it premiers on March 26th. I love the quote he shares that, "I believe that every child in America has the right to fresh, nutritious school meals, and that every family deserves real, honest, wholesome food". Yes -- thank you Jamie Oliver!

Although I don't have a child in school yet, I remember the days of fellow high school students filling their plates with stacks of fries, slices of pizza and soup bowls full of ranch to dip them in followed up with guzzles of Coke. We had healthy options, but kids still picked that as a staple. What do you remember from your school lunches? I was very impressed by my friend Stephanie and her daughter's experience with lunch in France -- check out these French school menus! I hope that in the future we can see more options like this in the United States and other areas of the world.



Continuing to talk about food, I really enjoyed the January article from Martha Stewart Living that focused upon what produce to buy organically. I've known about the EWG's dirty dozen for quite some time, but want to be better about follow-through at the grocery store. To remind myself and others, (if you are interested) I made a little business card size reminder to put in your wallet to easily access at the grocery store.



The thought behind it, is to print it out on heavy paper and laminate it. You can download the card here. You can also get a free nifty little iPhone app called, "dirty produce" here. Interestingly potatoes, spinach, and red raspberries have been taken off the list and have been replaced by carrots, lettuce and kale.



Here are a few books that I have read, have been recommended and hope to read regarding the concept of Food, a few cookbooks are also included.

In the Green Kitchen (available 4.6.10) Go Alice Waters.
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
The Omnivore's Dilemma (and other titles by Michael Pollan )
Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
Real Food
Fast Food Nation
Simply Organic
Earth to Table
Petit Appetit

Others films on my list to watch include:

What's Organic about Organic
Dirt! the Movie

I would love to hear about any books, and films you readers would recommend and any other thoughts about being Food Conscience.

(Ripe Now image above from Martha Stewart Living 2004 clipping photographed by Christopher Baker)

Hot in Week

Popular

Archive

item