Top 10 Plant-Based Diet Cookbooks

For the last month or so our family has been focusing upon eating plant-based meals. Yes, we still have some organic chicken, wild fish and ...


For the last month or so our family has been focusing upon eating plant-based meals. Yes, we still have some organic chicken, wild fish and shrimp in the freezer to use up, but we are moving more fully towards a plant-based diet. Normal I would infuse 2-3 meals a week that were meatless in the menu plan, but now it is turning more into like 6. We've already nixed most dairy, and we've really seen and felt the difference.


For us this movement has been a gradual process over the last few years. After recently watching Forks over Knives, along with a few other haunting documentaries about meat production, (and bouts of hot dog food poisoning) we have not been in the mood for juicy meaty burgers, well at least right now. Ask me again next year and we'll see. (I promise we aren't turning into California hippies, well maybe a little, ha). Since at home we will be working towards eating pretty clean, we are the pretty easy-going type so we won't be freaking out about things as we dine out, or over at someone's house. We are implementing the 80/20 rule. 


The main thing we've noticed so far overall is more energy, and I noticed that my skin cleared up too. (Although, sadly as I had some major slip-ups on my recent road trip my skin began to meltdown again).

I am already a huge fan of Heidi Swanson's books and she has usually been my go-to for excellent plant-based recipes but, I also wanted to explore more options. Here are the top ten plant-based cookbooks I've checked out over the last few months at our local library, are in my queue or am interested in.






1: Power Foods - This one is still in my queue but I am such a fan of Whole Living recipes that this has to be a winner. It has received excellent reviews too.

2: How to Cook Everything Vegetarian - A nice gigantic resourceful go-to for so many different vegetarian options, and how to prepare vegetables and grains I've never heard of. You really can't go wrong with Mark Bittman, right?!

3: The Kind Diet - I am always a little hesitant when a celebrity is on the cover of any cookbook, although two exceptions have been this cookbook, and Gwyneth'sI've cooked a handful of recipes and treats from The Kind Diet and we have loved every single one so far. Everything from Apple Date Cinnamon Oatmeal, to Sweet Potato Lentil Stew to Peanut Butter Cups, yum.

4: Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook - Naughty language, especially when it is lying out on the kitchen counter and my five-year old daughter who can read now is questioning various word definitions! If you get past the lingo, the layout of this book is nice and has lots of usual information and facts about grains, and plant-based eating. Still wanting to try another recipe from here, the first one I tried bombed out in a bad way, ka-pow.

5: Raw Energy - Impressed by what reviewers have to say about this one, who doesn't want to supercharge their body, yes! I look forward to seeing it in person. I am in need of some great easy and healthy snacks that mix it up a bit.

6: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone - Another huge cookbook like #2, but full of useful and definitive information about healthy vegetarian cooking. They say the author Deborah Madison is the Julia Child of vegetarian cooking, wow. It has been sitting on my counter un-cracked for weeks. I'm a little intimidated by its size.

7: Spork-Fed - A sister owned vegan food company based out of L.A. who use local, seasonal and organic ingredients. I can't wait to pick this one up. Their website shares more information, and they offer online vegan cooking classes. 

8: Mayumi's Kitchen: Macrobiotic Cooking for Body and Soul - I'm fascinated and am interested in learning more about the Macrobiotic diet. I didn't know much about it until thumbing through this book and this book. It has nice clean and minimal photography and eating miso soup and seaweed for breakfast seems to be encouraged. Interesting concepts here.

9:  Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health - I really enjoyed this documentary (showing on Netlfix now) I love their goal which is to "help people live healthier lives through their food choices."

10:  The Engine 2 Diet - At Whole Foods I thumbed through this books and picked up a few of the recipes they had printed off, I also watched Rip's Kitchen Rescue on Netflix where he helps people evaluate their current food choices, shop, and cook plant-based meals. We're all big fans of Rip's Big Bowl cereal, I made a huge batch of it and the girls keep asking for more.

A few others I look forward to getting my hands on...

Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London's Ottolenghi - Saw this at Anthropologie and it looks gorgeous! I'm a sucker for good food photography and cookbooks in general.

La Tartine Gourmande: Recipes for an Inspired Life - Stunning photography, their website blows me away. Ooh la la.


Eat for Health -  A friend recommended this one and says it is excellent.

What are your favorite plant-based diet and meal cookbooks, websites, blogs, etc...? Are you a plant-based eater? I would love to hear about it!



Hot in Week

Popular

Archive

item