Porch Cabinet Makeover

This weekend the cabinet in the porch got a bit of a makeover. cabinet on move in day. It was originally cream when I moved into the house. ...

This weekend the cabinet in the porch got a bit of a makeover.

cabinet on move in day.
It was originally cream when I moved into the house. The finish was so chipped and dirty, it just had to go. It was one of the first projects that I tackled when moving into the house. I decided to paint it a grey-blue. I knew even before the 2nd coat that it just didn't work.

Next, it got a couple of coats of glossy black. It actually looked kinda sharp and I received lots of compliments on it. It's been like that for 2 years now. But in the end, it just wasn't me. It seemed to dark and imposing in the tiny room. I had a picture but unfortunately it got deleted :(
Last week, I got home from work and decided it was time to ditch the black. The cabinet got a coat of primer. I felt instantly better about it.
I also decided to prime the inside of the cabinet, since it had never been done and was the original dark woodwork.

inside before primer
This weekend, I finished painting the whole cabinet, in and out, my favorite glossy white (ICI Natural White). It is like a breath of fresh air. I've said it before - there is nothing a little white paint can't fix- and in this case, I think I'm right. It should have been white from the start!
The hardware is the original. Underneath all that paint were some rustic brass pulls.


Then, I lined the back of each shelf with black and white scrapbook paper.


I thought about using wallpaper but scrapbook paper is inexpensive and easy to work with.
I just attached each sheet with double sided tape in the corners. The patterns don't line up perfectly, like wallpaper would, but with the cabinet full of stuff you will never know!
Here it is full of the kitchen items. I need the bottom right for extra food storage but left it out for the picture... it looked nicer without the rainbow of boxes and cans:)



I really like how it turned out and it will be easy to remove if I get tired of it.

This whole room is getting a makeover so stay tuned for the results!

Hot in Week

Popular

Archive

item