Chinese takeaways

WORD this week that Volvo is on the verge of becoming a Chinese takeaway has got to be a worrying way forward for the Swedish company. I'...




WORD this week that Volvo is on the verge of becoming a Chinese takeaway has got to be a worrying way forward for the Swedish company.

I've always had a fondness for the Gothenburg firm; after all, the first vehicle I ever travelled in was a Volvo 340. Stylish it wasn't, but it was safe and dependable in a stodgy sort of way, which is exactly what you'd want if you were a newborn baby.

Everything from the turbo-nutter craziness of the '90s V70R to the C30's annoyingly cool darkened glass bootlid has left me with a liking for Volvo's products, even if some of them look a bit strange. Yet that's the problem; people only like them.

I can't think of any Volvo, past or present, which I'd buy over its immediate - and better - rivals. Even my mechanically minded flatmate, who usually buys anything if it's cheap enough, turned down the chance to buy an S40 for a paltry £100, because better cars were on offer.

And you can forget any illusions of throwing wardrobes in the back; since the Citroen Berlingo and its ilk were invented a decade ago, antique dealers no longer need Volvo estates.

Personally, I hope Chinese car giant Geely gets a better deal out of Volvo than Ford did (although a surprise buyout by IKEA would've been hilarious). Even if it's only for the safety innovations and appeasing frustrated police officers, the world still needs Volvo.

Hot in Week

Popular

Archive

item