Kitchen Transformation Part 2

After the floors were finished and the old cupboards removed, my brother got to work on the cabinets. The frame was built out of plywood an...

After the floors were finished and the old cupboards removed, my brother got to work on the cabinets.



The frame was built out of plywood and trimmed in pine.



I had the job of priming everything with Zinsser primer.



I don't recommend sticking your head in a cupboard, while using Zinsser, for too long.
Really strong and stinky!


We tossed around the idea of buying the doors, but in the end, he wanted to build them himself. I am really happy with them. They have a recessed panel and 2 of them have a glass insert. Some of the drawers have a recessed panel and some are flat. He made the drawer fronts, but we ordered the drawer slides from Lee Valley.




I had a really hard time choosing a countertop. I wanted something that would be true to the feel of the older home. Most solid surfaces were out of my budget and butcherblock was not easily accessible. I wanted pine, but everyone told me I was crazy! My brother, however, thought it would be a great idea! He found some unfinished pine stair treads and pieced them together. I stained and varnished them and they came out great. All for only $70!

Let's look at the before picture again:




And here is the after with painted cupboards, walls and trim and a new backsplash:



A view with my new sideboard. A peninsula was part of the kitchen plan, but my brother is a busy boy!
This works well  for now! 


The pine countertops are still holding up well. There are a few dents, but I like them!
My sundae painting, made by Gaby ;)

I love the glass knobs. They add a little sparkle:) 



Resource list:
Glass knobs - Lee Valley
Chrome cup pulls - Lee Valley
Appliances - Fridgidaire Professional Series Furniture Gallery
Lighting - Canadian Tire
Wall paint- Souvenir ICI
Cabinet paint - Natural White ICI
Roman Shades - made by my aunt Marilyn



Hot in Week

Popular

Archive

item