The Deck: Your questions answered.

Thanks for all your comments yesterday on my new blog design! It certainly feels like a breath of fresh air to have something new! I've ...

Thanks for all your comments yesterday on my new blog design! It certainly feels like a breath of fresh air to have something new!


I've had a few emails about our backyard project that we tackled this summer. I've decided to answer them here in case others were wondering as well. If you missed the deck reveal, you can check it out here.

What color/brand of stain did you use?
We choose to use Sico translucent stain. It is an oil based product that has a semi-gloss finish so it almost gives the appearance of hardwood floors. It doesn't absorb water like a water-based stain so when it rains or when we spray the deck, the water beads up instead of absorbing. It's pricey at $85 a gallon but goes a long way since it doesn't soak into the wood. We did 2 coats. The floor/base of the deck is called Maple Bark and the walls are Oak Brown.

 
Why did you put up walls against the siding?
The walls were put up simply for aesthetic reasons. When you sat on the lower deck, it felt modern and zen-like. Then, you turned and looked at a wall of white siding... It just didn't seem to fit. Although a bit time consuming with all the cutting and spacing, we are thrilled with the result and feel it ties everything together. The pattern was then mimicked on the bottom of that deck as well. I'll admit, staining that part was a bit of a pain. We originally bought the dark stain for the whole deck and decided after doing just the walls that it was too dark for the whole thing. I ended up loving the two tone effect.


Where did you get the lights in the tree?
The lights are from Canadian Tire. They were meant for a patio umbrella but we just used them without the clips. They were $24.99 a pack and we used two sets. Much cheaper than anything we sourced online.


How much gravel and pea stone did you use?
A lot. Four tonnes of gravel and Five tonnes of pea stone. We had it delivered then moved and spread it all ourselves. I tell myself I'm strong because I'm a Crossfitter, but it was hard on the body. I couldn't even move the wheelbarrow without tipping it and spilling it everywhere. Yes. It happened a couple of times, much to Steph's dismay.



Where did you get the L-shaped chairs with the green seats?
Those were a random find at Canadian Tire. They were in the clearance area at the beginning of the summer. The picture on the box was faded from the sun so the wicker appeared blue. I guess that turned people off. I simply couldn't believe that that was the case so opened the box, only to discover they were brown and super cool. I felt like I was stealing them, they were so cheap! The stool was a Home Sense find.


Is it finished?
Probably not.. We'd love to add a fire pit, fix the walkway from the driveway, plant a few more shrubs, and fancy up some of the fence. Is any project ever finished? 

When's the deck party?
Yes, the most important question of all.. It's too bad that we are so quickly slipping into Fall. I was hoping for a warm September but it just may have to be next year! You're all welcome though.. anytime:)

Hot in Week

Popular

Archive

item