Bath or Shower?

I conducted a survey on social networking site facebook to ascertain whether people prefer to bathe or shower. I am writing this article fro...

I conducted a survey on social networking site facebook to ascertain whether people prefer to bathe or shower.

I am writing this article from the comfort of my bath. I have a green tea beside me, my evening meal and the News at Ten on a TV above. I find my bath the perfect way to relax, while catching up on everything else.
 

I have a fantastic hydrotherapy system in my bath, which gives a therapeutic effect. The fine layer of air that surrounds the body when you first immerse yourself in water quickly cools body temperature and prevents the transfer of heat. I find this system particularly useful when we have a hot spell, as I can still enjoy my bath and get out feeling cooler than when I got in.

As late as the early 1960’s many homes in Britain did not have a bathroom, let alone a shower. Fast forward 50 years and our bathrooms have become an important room in our homes — a sanctuary to lock ourselves away from the fast pace of life. It’s not unusual to find televisions,  heated floors and designer towel rails in bathrooms.





MODERN SHOWER
In 1767 Englishman William Feetham invented the first modern shower. Showers did not become common until the late 20th century, but are they really overtaking the bath in the nation’s preference?
 

Certainly a shower is timesaving and more environmentally friendly. A typical bath holds around 200 litres of water. You could shower for 22 minutes before you reached that level. But it is hard to beat a bath for soothing away aches and stress.

I posted a questionnaire asking ‘Would you prefer a bath or a shower?’ on my Facebook page Lisa Melvin Design and had more than 100 answers back (a big thank you to all who replied). Overall the response was ‘Shower to wash. Bath to chill’, along with: ‘Shower for weekdays, baths for weekends. Also bath for the children - couldn’t do without one!’ and ‘People with small children need a bath, as do people who can’t use a shower easily or can’t get water in their ears’.


My clients often ponder over whether or not they should remove the bath and just have a splendid large shower instead. Most people insist they only shower and have maybe only bathed once or twice in the past twelve months, so why bother keeping the bath? I always point out the minute you no longer have a bath is the minute you desperately want one!


One client had a small, compact bathroom and really didn’t use her bath at all. She longed for a large shower cubicle, and put in a fabulous shower enclosure she loved very much - until she was eight months pregnant, and was desperate for a relaxing bath to soothe her back!

CONVENIENCE & SPEED
I am with the majority - I absolutely love taking a bath but could not be without my shower. The time I spend in the shower is my idea and thinking time. If I really had to choose, the shower would win out of convenience and speed but I really would miss my bath dreadfully. 


Article from Revealed Design Home Interiors 2013. View online or request a free copy.

Looking for a new bathroom? Contact Gallery Showroom



Image copyright Grohe.

Subscribe

Hot in Week

Popular

Archive

item